Just tested ! – Bioderma Atoderm Lip Balm and comparison
translucent fluid, fragrance-free, lips
I may have found my holy grail lip balm !!
It was yet another accidental purchase. I was trying to purchase another HKD 90 at the Bioderma counter in order to qualify for a HKD 50 discount. I didn’t need anything except for a lip balm. Bioderma had 2 to offer. The other had a strange fragrance so I picked this fragrance-free one.
I have very very chapped lips. When I say very chapped, I mean VERY chapped – chapped enough to send an alert to my brain every 2 hours to check on them with a mirror.
Here are the reasons to love this product :
- It absorbs into my lips with little effort. There is no need to massage it in. I can top with lipstick immediately without worrying about lipstick sliding off when I drink and leaving greasy paint on the rim of my cup.
- It keeps lips moisturised for at least 4 hours. It was 4 hours since I applied it under my Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge when I had my first meal on the first day I tested it. With some other lip balms, I start hovering my jaw and kneading my lips together within 2 hours – it is a sign my lips are chapped. I have yet to experience this feeling with Bioderma.
- It doesn’t leave a trace of ‘mucus’ on the inner edges of my lips. With some other lip balms, white or coloured (with lipstick) ‘mucus’ start forming within 2 hours. Imagine how distracting that would be if you were in a meeting or worse, a date ?
Some comments of lip balms I own or have owned recently so you can judge :
- Vaseline Lip Essence costs wayyyyy less, but requires massaging in and makes me aware of discomfort on my lips within 2 hours. Leaves a slight trace of ‘mucus’ unless applied very lightly.
- Vaseline Lip Therapy Rosy Lips gives a light artificial rosy scent, a healthy rosy tint and costs much less but requires a lot of massaging in and leaves a pink trace of ‘mucus’ all the time.
- EOS Smooth Sphere in Honeysuckle Honeydew gives a more matte finish and costs much less, but is less moisturising than Bioderma. The sphere shape makes it bulky to carry but fun to apply. It also carries a pleasant honeydew scent.
- Shiseido Benefiance Full Correction Lip Treatment defines lip contour (which is especially important to me as my lips look anaemic). Its thick consistency makes it more lush but at the same time more difficult to spread. Occasionally leaves a trace of ‘mucus’ when applied under lipstick (when my lips are in a disaster condition and more product is applied). It is twice the price of Bioderma.
- Burts Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Red Dahlia costs slightly less, is almost as moisturising and does not leave ‘mucus’. It’s more convenient because it’s tinted enough to look like lipstick, yet with lip balm properties. The downside is that it leaves you with no choice of lip colour. Exfoliate first, however, if your lips are peeling because the colour accentuates the peeling.
- Chanel Hydramax+ is THE BEST lip care product I have ever encountered. It literally melts into and hydrates peeling lips instantly. The lipstick I topped off with looked amazing ! The packaging, however, makes it inconvenient on the go and therefore is best used as a lip treatment at night when you have a cotton bud handy. It’s more than twice the price of Bioderma too.
Overall, Bioderma Atoderm Lip Balm is perfect as a low-maintenance and moisturising day-time lip product for people with peeling lips like me who wears lipstick. Definitely a keep despite the high price.